Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Behind the Scalpel

Here is a sneak peak into one of the version of the beginning of Behind the Scalpel. I haven't decided yet, but I think this one might be a keeper. What do you think?

One – Heather



            This new chapter of my life began in a hospital, and now it’s ending in one.






I was a normal girl. Once. I worried about boys. I worried about being popular. I wore make-up. The entire regular teenage girl worries. But that’s in the past now, all of them. Hallelujah. It takes time to realize how pointless teenage life really is. You usually realize it in your mid-twenties. Me? I learned it at age fifteen. I didn’t suddenly age. I didn’t get smart and go to college. I didn’t do anything, really. All I did was get injected.
-       Gwendolyn

Gwen was right, of course. Teenage years are unimportant. Slow. Painful even. But the two week or so that I lived it, I grew to like it. Almost. That’s what I would say if I gave a damn about anything. Which, I don’t. I’m what you would call a sociopath. I feel nothing. I could push you down the stairs and feel nothing. I could burn you alive and wouldn’t feel a thing. I could kill you and not feel any guilt.
You want to know how I’m so sure? ‘Cause I have killed, a lot, and I don’t feel bad about it one bit. In fact, I would go in if I could. But I can’t. ‘Cause I’m dead.
Now arises a new subject. If I’m dead, how can I be telling you these things? Fifteen is kind of young to die, but my life was good. I’m not sure how Gwen’s was, but my month or so was nice. I sigh, and my chest hurts. Am I alive? I try moving, but my whole body hurts. I lay in silence and take small pleasure in the aches that I get from my tiny breaths. One question has been answered. Yes, I am alive. Question number two. Why am I alive? Or, better yet. How am I alive?
The last thing I remember was being shot in the head and the heart. Any normal person would be dead. Ha! I make myself laugh. I’m not a normal person. I’m far from normal.
            I was created to join with the body of a soldier and help him fight mercilessly and without hesitation or guilt. With my help they would be strong, fearless, and bloodthirsty. I came with a default or two as well. When I say bloodthirsty, I mean thirst for blood and hunger for flesh. In one word: cannibal. It’s a small speck on a flawless record, though. The soldiers will be experts in martial arts and with weapons, and it’s harder to kill them. Why, you may ask. Because once they are injected with Project Defeat another brain and heart forms where the injection happened.
So, in other words, Gwen has two hearts. One of them is hers and the other one is mine. My heart is in her neck, where I was injected into her system. It doesn’t stick out, though, so no one could know. At the moment my heart was trying to pump blood into Gwen’s lifeless body while her own heart is trying to heal itself. The shot to the heart was solved, but I’m not sure how her brain will heal. The worse case is that she’s brain dead and I get to control her. The best is she just can’t remember.
Gwen. She’s a nice girl. She’s pretty street smart, and book smart too. People would probably think that I’m influencing her, but I’m not. She’s come up with most of the things we h ad done. She was just a killer waiting to happen. I just helped her realize her destiny. I pushed her over the edge just a little bit. And she finally realized how fun it could be. She didn’t really even go into denial. She’s strong, and it’s a relief. No fighting or demands or threats. It was easy-peasy-lemon-squezey.
            I feel a smile try to form, but it hurts too much. Or should I say it hurts too good? After all, it does mean that I’m alive. You never realize how hard narrating is until you just slipped out of a coma.





TWO - Heather      


I could feel my heart slowing down a bit, which means Gwendolyn’s body is close to having enough blood. I can still feel hear heart pumping a mile a minute, but the blood I supplied it with is helping it greatly. I still decide to wait a bit; I don’t want to be off my guard because I haven’t fully healed. Gwen’s heart is slowing down minute-by-minute now, and I didn’t feel as light headed as before. I still wait a while and then I finally dare a big breath. I breathe in deeply, and let it out slowly. When that felt fine, I decided to dare something else.  I tried breathing in fast and breathing out fast. I still felt a little pain, but I was defiantly feeling better. 


Tell me what you think!:)
<3 Kalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment